Search This Blog

Monday, May 21, 2007

Study Session 4: Starbucks

Where: Starbucks, W. 5th Ave. in Columbus, OH.
When: Monday May 21, 2007
Time: 1:30 pm

By far my most entertaining study session. This Starbucks has lots of seating. I put my bags at a table in the back corner while the kind barista made my drink. Best of all, I had a gift card so my drink was free.

When was drink was up I took it back to my table and hooked my laptop in. I like to type my notes out. I also figured they had Wi-Fi but when I looked for a connection nothing looked like Starbucks so I didn't risk it. By the way, secure your network if you do the whole Wi-Fi thing. Anyway...I happily typed, read, and quizzed myself for quite a while.

From the time I arrived there was an older man sitting next to the counter, reading. Randomly, he stands up and says to the girls working there: "Well, you all so loud that I can't concentrate!" They were grinding coffee. In a coffee shop. What is the world coming to? He stomped out after the girls apologized for grinding coffee.

Next came the foreign exchange students. They sat next to me and spoke Portugeuse. I liked hearing the accents but it was distracting. You can't help but wonder if they're making fun of you in their language. After they left, all was quiet again.

I was sitting next to a window and decided to stare outside for a while. There was a guy sitting right outside the window on Starbuck's little patio. He was picking his nose. Yeah, yeah we all do it but this was in public, on a busy street and he was really going at it. It was kind of gross.

Toward the end of my study session, came the loud cell phone talker. Had Seinfeld been on at the height of cell phones, there surely would have been a character called "Loud Cell Phone Talker". I don't have a problem with people sitting and talking on their cell phones but it is so uncomfortable when they are talking about personal topics. Just don't do it. This poor lady was begging---BEGGING---her girlfriend to meet her at Starbucks. This same lady had been working on her laptop and kept turning it on and off. Annoying. Glad I'm not her girlfriend.

Starbuck's Grade: 3.75/5
Bottom line: Good coffee, nice staff, pretty quiet, eccentric patrons

1 comment:

A Scientist said...

Randomly stumbled on to your blog while searching for "places to study in Columbus". I've been trying to find that one perfect place too. Strangely enough I like background noise as long as it is not just one conversation or song. If there are a bunch of people talking loudly it works great for me. I find wifi to be a big distraction though.

Places I have found so far...
- Stauf's in Grandview (free wifi)
- Lounge at the OSU RPAC (Need to be an OSU student though)
- Various Paneras are usually good except for the wifi.
- Cup O' Joes are good too. I like the one in Clintonville.
- Coffee Table (Short North) - Only been there once and it was ok. Finding parking there is a problem though.
- Any of the City Metro Parks - With the weather getting better, it's my current favorite. If it's raining or chilly, I just sit in the back seat of my car and turn on the classical music station. Sitting outside is probably not a good idea if you have tons of papers that could fly away.

Good luck with your search and exam,
random dude