Search This Blog

Saturday, July 25, 2009

She don't eat the meat but she sure likes the bone


When I was 13 I quit eating meat. All of it. This decision came after watching one of those 48 Hours specials about the meat industry. If the abuse wasn't enough to appaul you, the farm conditions certainly would. Something about eating something that festered in its own feces kind of grossed me out. I was pleased with my decision and was never one of those preachy vegetarians. You know the kind I'm talking about.


Around 18 or 19 years of age I started eating turkey and chicken again. I would go back and forth with poultry (I've never been one for fish) but I was unwavering on my decision to nix the red meat.


Last week something weird happened. I began to crave red meat. This was not the first time that this has happened but this was the first time that the craving was so intense. I actually dreamed about eating a hamburger. After doing some research on what red meats to start with again and how my body would react, I took the plunge and ate a hamburger.


Go ahead and laugh but my first hamburger in 18 years was a White Castle. They are plain and I recalled liking them at one point. I did not lose the contents of my stomach at first bite but I was surprised at how flavorless it was. In fact the hamburger items I have had this past week have all been pretty bland. But my craving is mostly cured.


Bottom line, if I want it I'm going to have it and the next time I see my doctor I am going to get tested for anemia. I can think of no other explanation for my sudden meat cravings. I think that the body has a way of letting you know if it needs something. For once, I listened to my body.


(Bonus points if you can name the song this entry title came from WITHOUT googling it!! Double points if you know where the picture came from!)

No comments: