Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Colby the Dog


In November, Colby went to the vet for a routine teeth cleaning. A few hours after dropping him off, I got a call from the vet saying that they found something strange with his bloodwork. His white blood cell count was around 3.5 and this was too low. And everything has sucked since. Part of me wishes I never would have taken him for that cleaning and the other part of me is happy that I did.

When I picked him up that day the vet sent him home with a prescription for an antibiotic, hoping that maybe it was just an infection. After he was finished with the antibiotics, his WBC count was still low and we began talking about doing a bone marrow aspiration. The process sounded painful so I opted to try more medicine. We also did an x-ray and it showed a seemingly healthy dog. Colby got another round of antibiotics and prednisone. The prednisone brought his WBC count back up and I was thrilled. He was scheduled for an allergy shot and a recheck on his blood about 3 weeks later. I was hopeful that the WBC count would still be high but I knew it was too good to be true.

His WBC count, as of yesterday, is 1.15 in the neutrophils and he is scheduled for the bone marrow aspiration Monday. The vet also told me that his neutrophils looked odd under a microscope. He seems doomed but he energetic, happy, loves to eat still Good signs, right?

I'm not sure what to think at this point. Is he reacting to the allergy shots? Does he have cancer? I have no idea but I hope we get some answers. In the mean time, I am going to try to make him as comfortable as I can. The whole thing has me totally depressed though. I'm anxious for some answers.

No comments: