Search This Blog

Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Lesson Never Learned

I have only been a teacher for a little over a year now and while I feel pretty successful there are things I still struggle with. My classroom has experienced a total schedule overhaul and now I feel like my time management strategies have been lost. This is one area where my teacher's prep program did not prepare me.

While I was in school working on my teaching degree, we had several placements in classrooms throughout the city every semester. Our professors always encouraged us to jump in and be helpful right away. Good advice. As a future teacher I was anxious to get to know the students and to find out what it was really like to be the teacher. However, now that I am flying solo in my own classroom I wish I could have seen how a teacher dealt with the students when there wasn't an extra set of hands. I think more teaching programs need to allow student teachers to spend at least a week just watching. Simply watching how a teacher manages behavior issues without any help or how she gets three kids off to gym and two kids off to art at the same time would have been helpful to see.

No comments: