Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Facebook is still a choice, right?

Did Facebook become required? What did I miss? Assuming we still have a choice on whether or not to use Facebook, I'm curious as to why a bunch of bored Senators feel the need to whine about it to the extent of possibly involving the Federal Trade Commission. After all, with immigration issues, unemployment, and oh yeah, a WAR I guess this is all we have to worry about and spend tax dollars on.

My understanding is that Facebook is making some changes that would expose some information such as interests, location, and friends to places that can advertise to you. Yes, this sucks. The last thing I need is another ad for some hipster nightclub that I'd never frequent to pop up. However, if it really bugs me that much I can stop using Facebook. And guess what, Senators? So can you! And if Facebook users are not tech savvy enough as, the article states, to figure out how to set their privacy options then maybe they should not be on Facebook to begin with.


2 comments:

Big G said...

While I think it's a terrible waste of time for our government to get involved over Facebook's features or policies, I do want to point out that this new feature would give 3rd party websites access to any and all information in your profile, in the same way that any facebook app can access (read "harvest") every scrap of data out of your profile. This includes your posts, your likes, your photos, and anything else. My biggest gripe is that, yet again, facebook has defaulted this privacy setting to "on", forcing users like me to have to log in and opt-out.

Becky adjusted her settings after visiting a website (not facebook) this evening and seeing a facebook photo of her on the page.

No, Facebook isn't manditory and I'm one step closer to deleting my account.

Jen said...

I definitely think Facebook are idiots for doing this. I opted out, as well and am about finished with it. People need to be proactive and make sure that they are reading the fine print and keeping up with changes